D J Sky Brady
This project started as a SEO exercise. I was able to get the Sky's website to appear on the local pack. The client is very happy with this result. He also asked me to redesign the website using Bandzoogle. Sky is happy with the new website. It especially looks good on cellphones.
Client had a mockup of what he wanted the site to look like. So, I made this website almost completely from scratch. All HTML and CSS is my creation; all photographs are from client; and most text was written by clent. Client wanted site to be web responsive. Constructed site with Foundation framework. Site is still under construction.
The Trolley Stoppers
For this website I took the old Trolley Stopper website and made it web responsive. To do that I had to re-write the HTML code using Foundation as the front-end framework. I transfered the website domain to my host service and am now maintaining the site.
Media Monthly Meeting
I made this website almost completely from scratch. All HTML and CSS is my creation; all photographs are taken by me; and most text was written by me.
Homework for DCCC Classes
DPR 206 PHP
Intro to PHP
For this class I made a php database to collect and maintain database to record "alien abductions" and "find Fluffy the pug dog". I used the Model-View-Controller pattern to code and maintain site. You can login to database with username: firstname.lastname@example.org and password: a1b2c3d4
Miles per Gallon
For this exercise I made a miles per gallon calculator.
Miles per Gallon using Jquery
For this exercise I made a miles per gallon calculator usng Jquery.
Greatest Common Denominator
For this exercise I made a GCD calculator.
For this exercise I used Google Maps to make a map centered on an address. Sadly, it does not always work. Google is not always cooperative.
For this exercise I made a small trip log.
DPR 241 Web Responsive Design
Resume Using 960 Grid - 12 Grids
I found the 960.gs website difficult to navigate. I just lucked into a tutorial describing how to use the CSS files and set it up in HTML and CSS. I like how the grid system takes the guesswork out of setting up the grid; that was fast and easy. My HTML file looks a little clunky with all of the numerous div's, but it does the trick. I tried to use the Chunk font from the League of Moveable Type, but I am not convinced that it worked. But even if the font is not working, I am happy with how the resume turned out.
Resume Using Responsive.gs
I liked this one better than the 960 grid. It was easier to setup, Not to say that I did not curse the computer to make the changes that I told it to make. Once I got the kinks worked out, the css looked like it would be easy to work with in the future, if I needed to make changes.
Media Query Website
I was able to make the project website with two breakpoints so it now has a desktop, tablet, and cellphone size. I got the pictures to resize, but I am not super happy with the sizes. I will have to look at it later. The QR code works for me, I hope that it works for you.
The learning curve for how to set this up was a little steep and confusing, but thanks to the support sites like "A Complete Guide to Flexbox" and the intructions pdf, I was able to finish this quickly. With the code in the right spots, it appears to have even easier setup in CSS. There is a little extra work to be done in the CSS, but it is pretty clear to follow.
I was hoping to just place all of the divs in my existing website and it would work; no go. I had to make columns that would work. I got the idea for my columns from a third party, bootstrap tutorial on Youtube. After I got the columns working, I tried one of the navbar tricks. I am very happy with that trick. Of all of the things that we have tried so far, bootstrap has the most tricks to use to make a nice site.
This method has a lot of potential, but I had to fight hard to get it to work. I was unsuccessful in getting the CLI to work. I think that I was able to download it, but was not able to run it. I downloaded Scout to use SASS, but it would not run. After struggleing with that for a day, I moved on to using an example that Foundation offers. After using some reverse engineering, I was able to get most of the site to work on the web. The hard part was the nav bar. It fought me tooth and nails, but I finally got it to work the way that I would like. Now that I got this working, I am very likely to use Foundation again in the future.
This technique is very div'y; more so than other bootstrap or foundation. At least that is how it feels to me. Plus, it did not have all of the bells and whistles that bootstrap and foundation have. Maybe I just did not look hard enough. However, once I understood the structure, it was relatively easy to get all of the pieces to come together. I would not want to use this one for a complicated, many page site. I like having separate files for the pages. Finding my way around a massive, single file website might be a bit of a pain.
In this last project, I revisited my career goals to see how one company, Computer & Network Paramedics, might fit in. I found that the field of web development is rapidly growing which suits me well. Also, Computer & Network Paramedics is small and serves several different IT fields. That also works for me; I need constant stimulation to work best on a job. Computer & Network Paramedics looks like it would be a good fit for me.